Thursday, September 30, 2010

Scene

I wrote this scene nearly two years ago and have been thinking about it recently. I have thought about doing a companion piece, but know that it is a finished story and that any continuation would only take away from its power.

I have decided to post it again because I've been very concerned with Gilbert lately. I've just been thinking about him alot. I can't understand why he ripped up the letter. When I wrote this, I remember that more than anything, I wanted him to open it.

Daily Mail COPYRIGHT ANNA BURKEY 2010
Dan-A friendly mailman
Gilbert-A poet who has given up

(Dan knocks on the door of Gilbert’s home repeatedly. Gilbert finally opens the door.)

DAN
A package and a letter from your friendly neighborhood mailman.

GILBERT
I hate mail. I don’t sign for it. I don’t accept it. I have no need for it. Please don’t come here again. I am moving to Texas.

(Gilbert slams his door. Dan knocks on the door again. Gilbert opens it again.)

DAN
I’m sorry to hear that you hate the mail. But I have to deliver this, sir. It’s my job.

GILBERT
I will take the package. I have no need for the letter. (Signs for the package) Good day to you.

DAN
(Looking at the signature) Wait a minute, you’re Gilbert Dugburn?

GILBERT
Unfortunately.

DAN
Dan Fitz. I’m a huge fan. (Reciting) “Oh summer, Oh spring. What love I sing. I yearn for Autumn, the joy it bring.” You’re the reason my wife fell in love with me!

GILBERT
Congratulations. I am overjoyed to hear that my worthless prose has impacted the lives of two like souls and brought them together in merriment for as long as you both shall live.

DAN
(Not catching the sarcasm) I have all your books! Poems for the Eastern Plains is my favorite. Say, I haven’t seen any of your new stuff. When is it coming out?

GILBERT
Never. I haven’t been published in nearly four years.

DAN
Oh, I see. Writers block is a nasty predicament. I know. I used to write myself. Don’t worry. It’ll come back to you.

GILBERT
I have no need for it to come back. I am moving to Texas where the rejection letters can’t find me anymore.

DAN
(Glancing into his house, seeing that only a suitcase and box remain) You sure travel light.

GILBERT
All a man needs is the clothes on his back. That and the fish tank that Myra hated. Nothing to remind him of the woman who left.

DAN
Oh, I see. I’m sorry.

GILBERT
Don’t be. It’s my own fault. She hated this house. I told her it gave me inspiration, the view cleared my mind. This house was surely conducive to my writing. Turns out it wasn’t the house, it was her.

DAN
Does she know that?

GILBERT
Wouldn’t know. We haven’t spoken in four years. Thought I couldn’t live without poetry, turns out the poetry couldn’t live without her! (Takes from behind him a stack of rejection letters) Rejection after rejection. This one was my favorite: “Dear Mr. Dugburn, I don’t know how you lost your sense of rhyme, but maybe you shouldn’t waste my time. Retirement is really not so bad. Perhaps your poems were just a fad.”

DAN
Harsh.

GILBERT
Bah, no use in mulling it over. I’m moving to Texas and leaving it all behind me.

DAN
Hey, don’t listen to those publishers. I’m gonna read your poetry to my children some day.

GILBERT
Thank you. (Gilbert slams his door. Dan stands for a moment, processing the fact that the door has just been slammed on him. Dan begins to exit with a sense of loss, he looks down at the letter that he did not deliver. He reads the name on the address.)

DAN
Myra?
(Dan goes back to the door excitedly. He knocks with purpose. Gilbert opens the door.)

GILBERT
What now?

DAN
I think you’ll want to read this letter. (He hands him the letter)
(Gilbert rips up the letter without looking at it)

GILBERT
Don’t you get it? Acceptance or rejection, published or not, I don’t care! The only reason poetry was worthwhile was because I had someone to read it to! I am moving to Texas! You inform that Post Office of yours that this house will not accept any more mail!

(Gilbert slams his door)

END OF SCENE

3 comments:

  1. I like this a lot, Anna! You're good at what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marc! That means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. was feeling a little home sick today, so I read some of the blog de Anna, and I feel much better! Great piece!

    ReplyDelete