Sunday, June 12, 2011

An Awesome day

Yesterday began promptly at 9:00 a.m. with the techno tune of my cell phone alarm clock (I need a new phone). I was reminded by Megan that I had to meet at her house at 10 a.m. as we were carpooling to Littleton, meaning I was running late ( I still had to pick up orange juice from King Soopers).

I quickly straightened my hair and headed out the door, stopping to get orange juice on the way. From there, Megan and I headed to Littleton. I-70 was extremely backed up due to construction, so we ended up taking Kipling.

Upon arriving at Lauren's house for book club, we deposited our orange juice and champagne and hungrily eyed the table's delicious offerings. Fruit and yogurt parfaits topped with whip cream, fruit salad, bagels with cream cheese and muffins. I lathered some cream cheese on a plain bagel, made myself a mimosa, and then sat down to discuss this month's book, Water for Elephants.Admittedly, I had only read about half of the book. However, I found that some of my most interesting feedback came from reading the interview with the author from the back of the book. This probably spawned from my most recent trend toward reading, nonfiction. The journalist in me screams with joy for anything biographical, factual, timelined (The book Columbine by Dave Cullen being a great example of this kind of journalistic piece.)

After some good laughs and non-related book talk with the girls, Megan and I were off for our next gathering: Jordan's bridal party. Tom-Tom ended up leading us to a gated community that we obviously couldn't get through, so we drove in circles for a little while before finding our way. Again, greeted by a big group of ladies, we were at once prompted to load up our plate with finger foods: veggies with artichoke dip, strawberries, Hershey kiss cookies, and chips. Food in hand, we sat down to enjoy the protocol bridal games. Megan and I did not know what color the groom's eyes were, and guessed wrong as to what the word bride meant in old English (cook), so did not get to take home any of the prizes. We got over our losses quickly and watched as Jordan began pulling the multi-colored tissue paper from boxes and bags gathered at her feet.


Her mom then passed out mini angel food cakes covered in Strawberry whip cream frosting. Belly full at this point, most of the ladies began saying their goodbyes. Megan and I hung back so as to catch up with Jessica and Jordan, the latter having spent the last 6 months in Nicaragua. We had a good time meeting Jordan's four chickens and talking about the anticipated wedding.

Again, Megan and I had places to be so we said goodbye to our friends and were on our way again. Finding ourselves laden with hunger was surprising considering the bombardment of food we had experienced at the day's social gatherings. Still, we decided to stop at Ruby Tuesdays where I enjoyed a trip to the salad bar and a mini turkey burger.

Then it was time for Paper Bird. For Theatre Review see above.

No comments:

Post a Comment