Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Theatre Reviewer

I am proud to bring to you a portion of the Intelligent Nut that I am very excited about: The Theatre Reviewer

I go see a ton of theatre. It is probably the most interesting part of my life. I decided to blog about it. So without further ado...

This past weekend I went to Heritage Square Music Hall. My friend Sara runs the ticket booth at the little dinner theatre located in Golden and gave me the "friends and family discount," making my experience all the more enjoyable.
Me (left), and the actors of the show

It had been awhile since I had been to that theatre, so stepping through the door felt like I was walking backward in time. The ambience was just how I remembered it; cute, homey and greeted with a feeling that you had just walked into a saloon from the 1800's.

This evening's show was a review. I am not usually a fan of reviews, but was excited for this one as I thought it the perfect space to accommodate a fun, laid back night of popular songs.

They started out the evening with "'Ol Man River" from Showboat. The rendition wasn't the most moving I had ever seen, which was somewhat disappointing considering that the piece lends itself well to a powerhouse performance. Luckily, the actors move quickly from one song to the next, so we were able to forgive and forget as the actors segwayed into a more fun, company appropriate number. The players hit the Mommas and the Papas right on the dot and also did justice to several of the past 50 years' television show themes (my favorite number of the evening).

Overall, the night was a pendulum balance of hit and miss. The company would be much better off by cutting out the "bring down the house numbers" such as "Seasons of Love" from Rent and sticking with the more humorous numbers such as "Atheists have no songs." When the company starts cha chaing through the audience, pulling an unsuspecting "piano teacher Magillicutty" up onto the stage, you begin to remember why you walked through the curtain-drawn door: To sit back, have a good old shirley temple, and sing along. Not because it's the cool thing to do, but because it's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment